Friday, September 3, 2010

Am I blogging again?

A lot has happened since the last time I was here... not anything I can really talk about, but rest assured... lots of D-R-A-M-A going on around me. Hopefully, things will work out well when it is all over and done with.

On a lighter note, I just finished reading the novel Jane by April Lindner, which is due to be published in October 2010. (Another one of the advance reading books I got when I went with my wonderful cousin, The Optimistic Pessimist, to the ALA Conference). Jane is a modern retelling of Jane Eyre... I know, I know, I was thinking the same thing, but I was pleasantly surprised while reading it. Ms. Lindner has done a lovely job with the story, and I almost forgot about Jane Eyre while reading it.

In Ms. Lindner's retelling, Jane Moore ends up having to withdraw from Sarah Lawrence College after her parents are killed in an accident, leaving her without the resources to continue to pay her tuition. Jane doesn't have a healthy relationship with either her sister or her brother, so she can't turn to them. She submits her resume with Discriminating Nannies, Inc. and accepts their offer to be the Nanny for a famous rock star's daughter. She moves into his estate, Thornfield Park, and the love story begins.

I would definitely recommend this book to younger readers, and to anyone who has read and loves Jane Eyre. I think you will enjoy this book too.


1 comment: