Sunday, August 9, 2015

"Paper Towns" by John Green

Paper Towns has been in my TBR pile(s) for a while now, so I chose it this week after finishing book 5 in A Song of Ice and Fire.  After reading A Dance with Dragons, I needed something more grounded in reality and, as usual with John Green's books, I am so glad I did.

Quentin Jacobsen's quest to find Margo Roth Spiegelman took me back to those days in high school where I was surrounded by people and had wonderful friends, but always felt like I was on the outside looking in.  I don't mean that in a bad way, I think everyone feels a sense of disconnect from the people around them, especially in our teen years. 

I loved the pace of this book and at times I was on the edge of my seat wondering where Margo's hints would lead Q and what he would find.  I found myself laughing out loud at times (once while waiting for my car to be serviced), and feeling the same sense of fear the characters felt in the 'not knowing' what was to come.  I also enjoyed seeing the strong relationships that Q had with his parents and friends, Ben and Radar. 

I wish Mr. Green was writing books when I was at teenager.  Paper Towns kept me guessing and hoping until the end, and it didn't disappoint.  I totally recommend this book for people of all ages and give it a five out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment