Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

I actually bought The Magicians by Lev Grossman after reading a review of the second book in the series, The Magician King, which received a lot of praise.  First let me say, I hate it when book reviewers compare one authors work with another, so I was almost turned off by reviews that compared Mr. Grossman's books to Harry Potter.  I understand what they are trying to get across to readers when they say that The Magicians and The Magician King are Harry Potter for adults, but hey - most adults who enjoy the genre loved the Harry Potter series.  I guess what I am trying to say is, comparing Mr. Grossman's books to J.K. Rowling's books doesn't do him any justice because, so far, The Magicians stands on it's own.

Mr. Grossman has created a very interesting world for Quentin Coldwater, a young man who never really felt like he fit in anywhere, even in his parents' home.  His one escape from his mundane life are the books about the enchanted world of Fillory that he grew up reading.

As Quentin is trying to transition himself from high school to college, he unexpectedly gets accepted into Brakebills Academy, where he will be educated in magic.  For the first time in his life he feels as if he might fit in, making friends and falling in love.  Unfortunately, over the course of his five years at Brakebills, Quentin continues to feel as if he doesn't belong anywhere and when he and his friends find out that Fillory actually exists.. things change forever.

I don't want to give too much away.  Just trust that The Magicians stands on it's own.  Mr. Grossman doesn't try to write like J.K. Rowling (a question my sister asked me) and the world he has created is new and exciting.  I can't wait to read The Magician King.  If I were to give a rating to this book - I'd give it a four out of Five!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting premise. Nice review, I like when a reviewer doesn't give away too much. :)

    ReplyDelete